- Application deadline: March 9
- Interview invitations: March 11-13
- Group interviews: March 18 - April 3
- Final selections: April 6-10
“What I enjoyed the most about the OL training was the relationships built among the OLs. I came to training to learn how to be a good OL, but it gave me so much more than that – I gained valuable friendships by the end of the day!” - Mari
“It was a great experience for me. I have had lots of volunteer and leadership opportunities in the past, but I learned a lot through the OL program.” - Michael
“Through becoming an OL, I established strong personal connections with the BIO advisors, fellow OLs, and the incoming students in my orientation group. These people have become excellent mentors and long lasting friends.” - Henry
“I had so much fun at orientation! My orientation group was awesome – I loved getting to know the new students. Berkeley International Office did an amazing job organizing the orientation! Thank you for the opportunity!” - William
Be a Fall 2015 Orientation Leader!
Did you know? UC Berkeley has more than 8000 international students from over 135 different countries. Berkeley International Office (BIO) hosts a full week of orientation events before the start of fall semester to help welcome new international students and help them adjust to their new life at UC Berkeley. BIO is looking for 45 outstanding Orientation Leaders (OL) to help facilitate various orientation activities during the week of August 17, 2015.
- 4/18 (Sat) 9a-3p OL Training: Part 1
- 8/14 (Fri) 1-5p OL Training: Part 2
- One full day of orientation (choose one):
- 8/17 (Mon) 7am-6pm Freshman Orientation
- 8/18 (Tue) 8am-4pm Transfer Orientation
- Two of the following events:
- 8/16 (Sun) 11a-3p Welcome Pizza Party
- 8/26 (Wed) 7a-12p Graduate Orientation
- 8/26 (Wed) 1-6p International Resource Fair
- 8/28 (Fri) 7a-3p EAP Orientation
- Two social events between 8/16 and 8/23
- Full-time student at UC Berkeley in good academic standing – we welcome both international and domestic students
- Possess leadership, problem-solving, and team-building skills as demonstrated by past leadership experience
- Be available for all of the above listed training and orientation events
Orientation Leader Duties:
- Serve as a role model and a resource to new international students and their families during orientation week
- Perform in orientation skits addressing common cultural transition issues of international students at UC Berkeley
- Facilitate ice-breakers and lead an interactive campus scavenger hunt for orientation groups
- Participate in student panels or give presentations for new international students and their families
- Organize and lead social events around Berkeley to facilitate social connections among new international students
- Assist in preparation, implementation, and evaluation of International Student Orientation
- Perform other duties as assigned by BIO staff
Why Should I Apply?
Serving as an OL is a great opportunity to explore your leadership traits, develop intercultural communication skills, and an excellent addition to your resume. Foster a mentor-mentee relationship in an office renowned for its high-performance culture. You will also receive an OL T-shirt and a Cal bag.
Contact Sasha Chang at firstname.lastname@example.org.