“What I enjoyed the most about OL training was the relationships built among the OLs. I came to training to learn how to be a successful OL, but it gave me so much more than that–I gained valuable friendships by the end of the day!” – Mari Wu
“It was a great experience for me. I was dedicated to help new international students enjoy orientation-and I succeeded. I have had lots of volunteer and leadership experiences in the past, but I learned a lot in this one.”
– Michael Li
“I had so much fun at orientation! My orientation group was awesome – I loved getting to know the new students in my group. Berkeley International Office did an amazing job organizing the orientation! Thank you for giving me this opportunity!”
– William Yu
Be a Fall 2014 Orientation Leader!
Did you know? UC Berkeley has more than 8000 international students from over 125 different countries. Berkeley International Office (BIO) hosts a full week of orientation events before the start of fall semester to help welcome new international students and help them adjust to their new life at UC Berkeley. BIO is looking for 40 outstanding Orientation Leaders (OL) to help facilitate various orientation activities during the week of August 18, 2014. As an OL, you will have a unique opportunity to explore your leadership traits as well as develop intercultural communication skills working with a diverse group of students from around the world.
- August 14 or 15 | 9am-3pm Orientation Leader Training
- August 18-19 | 7am-6pm International Student Orientation
Why Should I Apply?
Serving as an OL is a great opportunity for leadership development and an excellent addition to your resume/CV. Foster a mentor-mentee relationship in an office renowned for its high-performance culture. You will also receive an International Student Orientation Leader T-shirt and complimentary breakfast and lunch at orientation leader training.
- Full-time student (Undergraduate/Graduate/EAP) at UC Berkeley in good academic standing – we welcome both international and domestic students
- Possess leadership, public speaking, and team-building skills as demonstrated by past leadership experience
- Be available all day for the above listed OL training and orientation events
- Applications must be submitted no later than March 21, 2014.
- Applicants will be notified via email to participate in group interviews between April 7 and April 21, 2014.
- Final selections will be announced between April 25 and May 5, 2014.
Please contact Sasha Chang at firstname.lastname@example.org.