Our mission is to enhance the academic experiences of international students and scholars by providing the highest levels of knowledge and expertise in advising, immigration services, advocacy, and programming to the UC Berkeley campus community.
The following goals and listed strategies to achieve these goals will guide Berkeley International Office with equal priority:
1. Build and Strengthen Partnerships.
- Engage in campus globalization initiatives and support the work of the Global Engagement Office.
- Enhance undergraduate student experiences by partnering with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education.
- Strengthen liaisons with student service and academic units to promote student and scholar success.
- Collaborate with Campus Shared Services and the Office of Faculty Equity and Welfare to enhance scholar and faculty experiences.
- Collaborate with campus units to integrate the effective use of technology.
- Build alliances with campus and community partners to leverage human and financial resources.
- Collaborate with external partners including other UC campuses and professional associations to build upon synergy and best practices.
2. Enhance the Quality and Efficiency of Products and Services.
- Standardize assessment practices to determine needs, refine services, and reduce redundancies.
- Increase client engagement in the development of products and services.
- Improve clients' remote access to information and tools.
- Reduce reliance on paper-based information delivery and receipt.
- Develop and strengthen tools, trainings, and resources for campus partners to support international clients.
- Implement adjustment and retention strategies to support the ability of international students and scholars to thrive.
3. Strengthen Infrastructure and Streamline Internal Processes.
- Enhance quality of internal training, collaboration and access to reference materials.
- Improve systems to manage interactions with clients.
- Facilitate the review, capture, and consolidation of core office policies to advance our shared knowledge and standardize operations.
- Optimize infrastructure to foster organizational cohesion.
- Elicit requirements, discussion, and decisions for tools and processes to meet operational needs.
- Establish and maintain protocols related to emergency situations.
4. Enhance Organizational Effectiveness through Staffing, Planning and Development.
- Identify means to retain high performing staff.
- Provide opportunities for staff to participate in professional development.
- Monitor and evaluate how workload impacts staff and other office resources.
- Foster an environment where staff is valued and appreciated.
- Cultivate an environment that embraces individual contributions.
- Ensure transparency through effective communication.