Undergraduate Graduation Requirement

All UC Berkeley undergraduates must satisfy the following course requirements in order to graduate:

  • American Cultures (AC): This requirement may NOT be waived. See more info below.
  • American History and Institutions (AH&I): International students may waive this requirement. See below.

American Cultures (AC)

American Cultures (AC) is a Berkeley campus requirement, the one course that all undergraduate students, including international students, need to pass in order to graduate. AC courses offer students opportunities to be part of research-led, highly accomplished teaching environments, grappling with the complexity of American Culture. Courses are offered in more than fifty departments in many different disciplines at both the lower and upper division level. You can take your AC course at any stage in your Berkeley career.

The AC requirement is not the same as the American History & Institutions (AH&I) requirement and may not be waived.

More information on AC courses: http://americancultures.berkeley.edu/content/student-info

AH&I Requirement: Obtaining a Waiver

Only international students with nonimmigrant status are eligible to waive the AH&I requirements if they:

  • have completed at least 90.5 semester units (senior status),
  • hold a valid non-immigrant visa status (F-1 is the most common),
  • possess a passport admission stamp or an electronic or paper I-94 record indicating nonimmigrant status which was obtained at the Port of Entry or through a Change of Status Application.

To waive these requirements, international students must present their passport admission stamp or I-94 record to Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall at the beginning of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Waiving the requirement has no impact on students future plans to work or remain in the U.S.

International students who graduated from a California high school or transferred from a California community college may have satisfied the requirements during their high school and/or college curriculum. For complete information on the requirements, please check the Berkeley Academic Guide.

If you have questions about the AH&I requirements, please contact your college or major advisor.