Work Authorization Based on Financial Need

J-1 students who have received their DS-2019 document from UC Berkeley are eligible to request off-campus work authorization due to unforeseen financial need. This type of work authorization is called Economic Hardship.

This type of work authorization allows J-1 students to work off-campus in a part-time job during the academic year, or in a full-time job during semester breaks such as summer and winter break. The job does not need to be related to the student's field of study.

There is no time limit associated with the Economic Hardship work authorization. If a student can demonstrate financial need, s/he is eligible to apply as long as the need exists. Economic Hardship work authorization does not affect a student's J-1 Academic Training eligibility.

To request Economic Hardship work authorization, please see an Advisor in Berkeley International Office to discuss your situation.