Returning UCB Students

Returning for Fall or Spring Terms

Students who have withdrawn from UC Berkeley for one or more semesters and would like to resume their programs in the fall or spring terms must first be readmitted to get access to Telebears for enrollment purposes.  Students resuming their programs in summer must follow different procedures (see below).

  • Graduate Student Readmission
    File an Application for Readmission, and pay the readmission fee. The Graduate Division and your department, school, or group will review your application and academic record and notify you of their decision. Please note that the Application for Readmission requires the signature of your Head Graduate Advisor before it can be forwarded to the Graduate Division. Keep this in mind in relation to the application deadlines.

Returning in Summer

Readmission is NOT required to enroll in Summer classes only. If you are returning for Summer only and will require an I-20, please contact . However, if you plan to continue your enrollment into the Fall term, your readmission must be approved before the start of the Fall term. Once your readmission for Fall is approved, you will be given access to Telebears for registration.

Obtaining Your I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) for Your Return

The process for obtaining an I-20 or DS-2019 from Berkeley International Office depends on the purpose of your return to the University and how long you will stay.  If your return is:

  • For Summer Only
    Please contact if you will return to complete your final semester in Summer and will NOT continue into the Fall.
  • For Summer and Continuing Through Fall
    Upon Fall readmission approval, you will be granted access to the Nonimmigrant Information Form (NIF), the online application for requesting your new I-20 or DS-2019 document. Once you are readmitted, you can register for Summer via TeleBEARS. Make sure to include a copy of your Summer Session course schedule with your uploaded NIF materials to be issued an I-20/DS-2019 with a summer start date. You MUST be registered full-time for your Summer Session courses.
  • For Fall or Spring Term
    Upon readmission approval, you will be granted access to the Nonimmigrant Information Form (NIF), the online application for requesting your new I-20 or DS-2019 document.
  • To Complete Your Dissertation in Summer
    You may not need an I-20 or DS 2019 document. Contact Berkeley International Office to determine the most appropriate status for you depending on your length of stay in the U.S. and your future plans.

Back at CAL: Arrival Confirmation with Berkeley International Office

All returning students are required to complete an Arrival Confirmation before classes start to report your arrival to the University. 

  • Arrival Confirmation- If you are a degree-seeker returning in Summer and will continue enrollment through Fall, you will not have access to the MySummer portal but must complete an online Arrival Confirmation via the link here.

Please note: 

Employment Eligibility

F-1 or J-1 students are eligible to begin working on campus at any point during the 30 days prior to their program start date.

Off-Campus Employment
F-1 or J-1 students who have been withdrawn for a semester or more may not be eligible for off-campus employment, depending on the reason for the withdrawal. Due to the complexity of this matter, it is best to consult with an Advisor in Berkeley International Office before beginning any off-campus employment after a semester or more of withdrawal from UC Berkeley.