J-1 Academic Training

Academic Training is a type of off-campus work authorization for employment in a student's field of study (does not need to be an “academic” job).

A J-1 student’s program sponsor (the institution that issues the DS-2019) is responsible for granting the authorization with the required recommendation from the student's academic department.

Students sponsored by UC Berkeley must request Academic Training authorization from Berkeley International Office. Students who are sponsored by institutions other than UC Berkeley (such as Fulbright, LASPAU etc.) should check with that sponsor for information on Academic Training eligibility.