Tax Reporting Requirements

All international students, scholars, and their dependents present in the U.S. during any part of the 2014 calendar year are responsible for filing annual tax forms (often called "tax returns" because you may get some money back). Filing tax forms is required whether you or your dependents worked or earned income in the U.S., or received a taxable scholarship or fellowship in 2014.

Tax Deadlines

  • April 15, 2015
  • June 15, 2015
  • (if you had no income in 2014)

Your Tax Filing Status

Many, although not all, of UC Berkeley’s international students and scholars are considered non-residents for tax purposes. Find out how to determine your tax filing status at this link:

Free Online Tax Filing

Berkeley International Office is sponsoring free access to an online federal tax filing program through Windstar Foreign National Tax Resource (FNTR) for non-resident international students and scholars affiliated with UC Berkeley. Access to FNTR will be granted in mid-February. Learn more at this link:

Workshops and Webinars

Berkeley International Office is offering workshops and live online webinars to provide instructions and answer your questions. See the schedule at this link: