UCB Departments

This section is designed to provide information to UC Berkeley departments and affiliates about hosting international students and scholars in the following categories:

F-1 and J-1 Students

The F-1 is the most common status used by international students in the U.S.  J-1 status is generally for students in specific educational exchange programs such as the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP), but can be used for students sponsored by UC Berkeley or other organizations.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

This is the most common status used for visiting international professors and researchers at UC Berkeley.

H-1B Temporary Workers

The H‑1B nonimmigrant status permits temporary employment in "Specialty Occupations."



O-1 Aliens of Extraordinatry Ability

The O-1 is for people with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics or who have demonstrated extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

Permanent Residents

This status is reserved for international faculty and staff who have been offered permanent positions at UC Berkeley.

TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers

The TN category permits Canadian or Mexican citizens entry to the U.S. to be employed in certain designated professions, and/or engage in certain designated professional activities.