This general information workshop is for UC Berkeley international students and scholars whose immigration status is J-1 and J-2 and who are subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement. Not all J exchange visitors are subject to this requirement.
J exchange visitors (students and scholars) who are subject to this requirement must return to their country of last legal permanent residence for two years or obtain a waiver of this requirement before they are eligible for H (temporary employment), L status (intracompany transfer), or Permanent Residence (a green card). Read more about this rule here.
- What makes a J exchange visitor "subject"
- Strategies for timing the application for a waiver
- When to see an advisor at Berkeley International Office
All workshops will be held at International House. Room location will be posted at the entrance.
Schedule Spring 2017
- Tuesday, February 14th, 1-3 pm
- Tuesday, March 7th, 2-4 pm
- Tuesday, April 4th, 10-12 noon
- There is no fee for this workshop.
- It is not necessary to pre-enroll.
- Bring to the workshop all copies of your DS-2019s (your J visa document) and your passport if you would like an Adviser to review them for a preliminary determination of whether or not you are subject to the 2-year rule.