Academic Training

Academic Training (AT) Introduction

  • is available to J-1 Degree-seeking and Education Abroad Program (EAP) students
  • is a type of off-campus work authorization for employment in a student's field of study (not required to be an "academic" job).
  • must be authorized by the J-1 student's program sponsor (the institution that issues the DS-2019). Students sponsored by UC Berkeley must request authorization from Berkeley International Office. Students who are sponsored by institutions other than UC Berkeley (such as Fulbright, LASPAU etc.) should check with that sponsor for information on Academic Training eligibility.

Please review the Academic Training page for instructions regarding:

  • Reporting Your Post-Completion AT Address and Employment Changes
  • Beginning a New Program of Study during or after AT
  • Travel outside the US during AT
  • Change from J-1 to H1-B
  • the Two-Year Home residency Requirement


Degree-Seeking & Education Abroad Program (EAP) Students

  • must have completed at least one semester on J-1 status.
  • can be used before or after completion of program.
    • Before completion of degree/program, AT can be part-time (maximum of 20 hours per week) during the fall & spring semesters or full-time in the summer.
    • After completion of program, AT must be a minimum of 20 hours per week.
    • Available full-time for graduate students who have advanced to Ph.D candidacy and the work is integral to the completion of their academic degree.
  • must have a job offer in hand BEFORE the completion of study.
  • can be used for paid or unpaid internships or jobs. If AT is unpaid, the student must submit a letter from the employer AND provide proof of financial support in the amount of $2,100/month for living expenses during the training period.
  • allows for more than one job at a time, as long as all are related to the student's field of study and separate AT request forms are submitted. If changing employers while on AT, there cannot be a gap in employment dates.
  • must begin within thirty (30) days of the program completion date. However, time authorized for Academic Training will begin counting the day after program completion.
  • Special MBA Exchange Program J-1 students are not eligible for academic training.

Duration of AT

Degree-Seeking Students

  • Available for a total of eighteen (18) months or for a period equal to the length of the study program, whichever is shorter.
  • Can be extended only for postdoctoral researchers up to a maximum total of thirty-six (36) months. Students may apply for the extension at any time before the expiration of their eighteen (18)-month academic training so long as the AT has a research component as verified by the faculty advisor on the reverse side of this form.

Education Exchange Program (EAP) Students

  • One semester (Fall or Spring) students are allowed four (4) months of Academic Training after the semester is completed.
  • Two semester students (Fall and Spring) are eligible for a total of nine (9) months of Academic Training & may begin AT after completing one semester.
  • Students who begin in the spring term and will continue to the fall term may also use Academic Training to work off-campus during the summer between semesters or after completing the second (fall) semester, not to exceed a total of nine (9) months.

Application Deadline

Submit the application for Academic Training to Berkeley International Office at least three (3) working days before completion of the academic program & before the DS-2019 expires. The completion date may or may not be the same as the end date on your DS-2019. "Completion" is defined as:

  • Undergraduates - the last day of final exams of the semester you are graduating
  • Graduates - the day degree requirements are fulfilled such as passing final exams or filing a dissertation
  • EAP Reciprocity - the last day of final exams of your last semester in the program.

Instructions for Requesting Academic Training

  1. Obtain Health Insurance that meets U.S. State Department J-1 requirements for themselves and ALL J-2 dependents for the duration of the J-1 program, including Academic Training. Failure to maintain sufficient health insurance will result in termination of the J-1/J-2 record.
  2. Complete the Academic Training Request Form.
  3. Obtain signatures on the Academic Training Request Form from the college, department or faculty advisor for each employment offer. EAP Students should also check with their home institution to confirm that post-completion AT will not impact their home country program of study.
  4. Submit Academic Training Request Form and the following attachments to Berkeley International Office:
    • For post-completion AT only: Post-Completion Services Fee payment: Attach check or money order made payable to “UC Regents.” Fee: $100.   The Post-Completion Services Fee covers advising and support services provided during and up to the first 18-month period (or any part thereof) of AT. Extensions past 18 months will incur an additional fee.
    • If employment is PAID: Employment offer letter with salary information
    • If employment is UNPAID:
      1) a signed letter from the employer on letterhead including: Company name and address, Student’s job title and job description, dates of employment, hours per week, and Supervisor name, title, email and phone.
      2) Financial documents showing at least $2100/month.
    • If applicable, additional funding proof for dependents at $600/month for spouse and $300/month per child for the duration of your AT.
  5. Pick up your new DS-2019 Academic Training authorization from Berkeley International Office in three (3) business days.

A copy of the DS-2019 with the AT annotation should be given to the employer and can also be used to apply for a Social Security Number. For information on the Social Security Number application, see How to Apply for a Social Security Number.