Fall 2022 Express Travel Signature Days for F-1 Students

  • Monday, December 5 - 1-4 pm

  • Thursday, December 8 - 1-4 pm

Virtual drop-in format (no appointment needed)

Are you traveling internationally soon and require a travel signature? If so, please sign in virtually to obtain an electronic travel signature from Berkeley International Office

Note: the instructions on this page are only relevant for F-1 international students (enrolled students and students on OPT/STEM OPT) with I-20s sponsored by UC Berkeley. If you are a J-1 student, see this page.

How to access F-1 virtual travel signature days

Step 1: Sign in

Sign in for your F-1 virtual travel signature on Monday, December 5 and Thursday, December 8, 1 - 4 p.m.  The sign in form is only open for sign-ins during these posted times. As long as you are signed in, you are guaranteed to speak with an advisor. 

Step 2: Join the Zoom meeting

After signing in, join the BIO F-1 Virtual Travel Signature Zoom meeting using the web browser or desktop Zoom app on a computer. Please do not join Zoom using your phone or tablet device as it does not have the necessary file attachment feature.  

You will be placed in a waiting room until it is your turn to be seen by an advisor. Only students who have signed in will be seen by an advisor.

NO SHOWS: If you are not present when called, an advisor will remove you from the meeting. You will need to sign in again if you would still like to get a travel signature.

ZOOM NAME: Make sure that your Zoom display name matches the name you have used in the sign in form. 

All participants are required to be signed into a Zoom account. Use your CalNet ID to sign into Zoom for signing into Zoom from your desktop application, web browser, or mobile app.) Participants who are not eligible for a UC Berkeley Zoom account can create a free, consumer Zoom account

Step 3: Check your place in the advising queue!

After signing in and joining the waiting room, you can check your place in the travel signature queue. You can see how many students are ahead of you. 

Step 4: Get your I-20 signed!

An advisor will reach out to you once it is your turn. After you’ve been placed in a breakout room with an advisor, please look for the chat function in Zoom. In the Chat area in Zoom, click the file icon to upload your I-20.


Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need? 

You will need your most recent I-20 in electronic format. We will only accept the document in PDF format, and all pages of the I-20 must be combined into a single PDF file Please ensure that the I-20 has been signed by you.  Additionally, please ensure that the I-20 file name includes your name so that advisors can easily locate your file once it has been downloaded.

What if I have lost my most recent I-20 or do not have an electronic copy of it?

If you have lost your most recent I-20 or do not have an electronic copy of the most recent I-20, you are NOT eligible for Express Travel Signature Day drop-in. Please submit a Replacement Document request instead. If you submit a Replacement Document request, you will receive an updated I-20 with travel endorsement in 5 business days. 

Things to keep in mind:

  • This is not an advising session. Advisors will not provide advising to you during this time. If you have questions, please make an advising appointment or sign in for virtual advising to speak with an advisor. 

  • You only need a travel signature if you have upcoming international travel plans.
  • You do not need an updated travel signature if your program of study at UC Berkeley is coming to an end and you do not plan to re-enter the US in F-1 status once you depart the US.
  • Please check the most recent Travel Endorsement date on page 2 of your I-20. If you are a currently enrolled student, the signature is valid for 1 year from the date signed. If you are currently on OPT/STEM OPT, the signature is valid for 6 months from the date signed. You need a valid signature for re-entry into the US. You do not need an updated travel signature if your signature is still valid for re-entry into the US.

What other documents do I need for travel? 

Please see here for Travel and Re-entry into the US. If you are pending or have been approved for OPT/STEM OPT, please see here for Travel on OPT

Make sure to check the expiration date on the F-1 visa stamp in your passport before international travel so that you know whether you will need to renew your visa before you can re-enter the US.

The visa stamp in my passport is expiring! Do I need to leave the US to renew my visa?

The visa is just an entry document. Your I-20 or DS-2019 has a future expiration date (or post-completion F-1 OPT) on it to maintain its validity. If you are presently in the U.S., your I-20 or DS-2019 is still valid, and the visa stamp in your passport is expired, there is no need for you to make a trip just to extend the visa.

The visa stamp in the passport only needs to be extended if you leave the U.S. and need to reenter the U.S. 

Automatic Revalidation

If you are traveling to Canada or Mexico but your visa has expired, you may qualify for Automatic Revalidation. Please see here for more information.