Summer Session Transfer Students

Transfer to UC Berkeley Summer Sessions from Another U.S. School

If you are an F-1 student attending another U.S. institution immediately prior to your UC Berkeley Summer Sessions program, and you do not plan to resume your studies at that school, you must complete the following steps to request an F-1 I-20 form from UC Berkeley to "transfer" your record to us.

If you are a J-1 student attending another U.S. institution immediately prior to your UC Berkeley Summer Sessions program, and you do not plan to resume your studies at that school, you will most likely need to obtain an I-20 from the Berkeley International Office, depart the U.S., obtain an F-1 visa abroad, and re-enter the United States in F-1 status to attend Berkeley Summer Sessions. For questions about this, contact


F-1 students are only considered "transfer students" for immigration purposes if the following is true:

  • You are currently in valid F-1 status or will be in F-1 status prior to attending UC Berkeley Summer Sessions.
  • There are no more than five (5) months between the end date at your current U.S. institution (last date of attendance OR your last date on OPT, whichever is later) and the start date at UC Berkeley Summer Sessions.
  • The deadline for F-1 students to request a transfer is 60 days after the program completion or OPT end date, whichever is later.

J-1 Students who wish to transfer from their current program sponsor to UCB must consult with the International Student Advisers at both schools. To be eligible for a transfer, the J-1 category must remain the same and the J-1 must request a transfer before his or her DS-2019 program end date and enroll full time in the next available Summer Session  In addition, to be eligible for a J-1, students must receive a majority of their financial support from sources other than personal funds and meet the criteria below:

  • Have adequate financial support for all of your school and living expenses, including additional financial support for any accompanying family members, for the duration of your degree program as determined by normative time AND
  • 51% of your total financial support must come from an institutional or government sponsor in the form of a scholarship, fellowship, assistantship, stipend, tuition waiver, or other direct support provided specifically for the educational program.  Personal or family funds do not qualify. Loans or support from individuals do not qualify.

Steps to Transfer to UC Berkeley for Summer Sessions

J-1 Transfers only: You must first contact Berkeley International Office at to confirm your transfer can be accepted. DO NOT begin the Summer registration process before confirming your transfer.  Please note that J-1 transfers are extremely rare. Normally, J-1 students need to exit the US, obtain an F-1 visa, and re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status to attend Berkeley Summer Sessions.

F-1 Transfers:

  1. Notify the International Student Adviser at your current U.S. school that you intend to transfer to UC Berkeley for Summer Sessions. You will need to provide proof of enrollment in UC Berkeley Summer Sessions. The advisor will advise you about an appropriate SEVIS Release Date. On this date, your SEVIS record will electronically transfer to UC Berkeley. The release date is usually the day after the last day of enrollment at your current school.
  2. Register online for Summer Sessions. 
  3. Enroll full-time in Summer Sessions. Full-time enrollment is required to remain in the U.S. legally as an F-1 or J-1 student. Summer 2022: You must be enrolled in at least one course that will meet in-person, and you must attend the in-person meetings of that course. Failure to do so could negatively impact your U.S. immigration status and/or your ability to obtain U.S. visas or other benefits in the future. 
  4. Make sure to complete the online VSIS application. It will ask you a series of questions to determine whether you need an I-20 or DS-2019. The following documents are required for your I-20 or DS-2019 application:
    • Financial documentation showing sufficient support (minimum of 6,300 USD for students taking undergraduate level classes and 6,615 USD for students taking graduate level classes) for your summer program
      (see Required Funding Documentation).
    • Passport - biographic page (page showing date of birth etc.).
  5. Enter your SEVIS Release Date (this is the day that the advisor at your current school will send your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 electronically to UC Berkeley) and other transfer information in VSIS.
  6. Report to UC Berkeley to complete the transfer-in process no later than 15 days after the first day of classes:

Traveling Between Schools

Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their UC Berkeley I-20 or DS-2019. A valid visa is necessary to re-enter the U.S. Transfer students may use a valid visa issued for their previous institution as long as the SEVIS ID number remains the same.