Application period typically occurs at the beginning of each Fall & Spring semester. The Fall application period opens August 15 and closes September 15. The Spring application period opens on January 15 and closes February 15. Instructions for gaining access to the Need-Based Awards application will be announced via email during the application period and will be posted below.
To be eligible for financial support from BIO, international students must:
- demonstrate financial need
- have completed two consecutive semesters at UC Berkeley prior to the semester that they are requesting aid. (In addition, undergraduates must have completed at least 60 units prior to the semester that they are requesting aid)
- plan on continuing in the same degree program and registering full-time for the semester that they are applying for aid.
- Undergraduates are limited to a total of 2 semesters of BIO financial support (not including UG scholarship)
- Students are highly encouraged to apply for the Campus Emergency Loan and/or enroll in the Tuition & Fee Payment Plan in order to make their initial payments for registration (see http://studentcentral.berkeley.edu/node/64 for more information).
- The following students are not eligible for awards: Students on filing fee, in self supporting programs (such as MFE, LLM, Evening-Weekend MBA, Executive MBA, MAS, MIDS, MPA, M.Eng), students who have completed less than 2 semesters of a new degree level. Students on In Absentia are not eligible for the Graduate Parent Grant.
Students who have experienced unforeseen economic changes are encouraged to speak to a BIO advisor about their financial situation.
Types of Awards (available through the BIO Need-Based award application process)
Tuition & Fee Awards (Undergraduate and Graduate, Fall & Spring)
Emergency aid is awarded based on financial need and changes in the applicant's financial situation. Tuition & fee awards are paid directly toward required registration fees and do not need to be re-paid. Awards are granted to both undergraduate and graduate students.
International Graduate Student Parent Grant (Fall & Spring)
International graduate students who have a child living with them in the Bay Area are eligible to apply. Grants will be awarded based on financial need and changes in the applicant's financial situation. Those on Filing Fee and on In Absentia are not eligible. Grants are applied to tuition & fees or as a stipend.
Our online application will open on the first day of the Application Period.
Instructions for accessing the application are posted below (open only during the application period) and announced through email.