Bringing your spouse or children ('dependents") to the U.S. on a short term basis or for the entire length of your stay requires careful planning and preparation. The Bay Area is an exciting place to live and there are many resources available to help your family feel at home.
Extended family (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) can also play an important role in helping you adjust to your new home in the U.S. Whether they come for just a short vacation or longer periods, you may find yourself in need of resources to help make their visit go smoothly.
Resources for International Student/Scholar- Parents
- How to Invite Family to the U.S.
- The Arrival Guide for International Students & Scholars
- Childcare and School in the Bay Area
- UC Berkeley Backup Childcare Services
- UCB Graduate Student Family Grants & Aid
- Legal Issues for Families (non-immigration)
- UCB Family Housing
- Family Friendly Events in the Bay Area
- English Resources
- J-1 and J-2 Health Insurance Requirements
- Health Insurance for Students' Dependents
- Health Insurance for Visiting Scholars' and Dependents
- J-2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Work Authorization for J-2 Dependents
- The Berkeley Wives Group
- The Centre: for International Spouses and Partners
Parents or Family of International Students
Are you the parent or family member of an international student
attending UC Berkeley? See our Parents of Students resources!