Bringing your spouse or children ('dependents") to the U.S. on a short term basis or for the entire length of your stay requires careful planning and preparation. The Bay Area is an exciting place to live and there are many resources available to help your family feel at home.
Extended family (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) can also play an important role in helping you adjust to your new home in the U.S. Whether they come for just a short vacation or longer periods, you may find yourself in need of resources to help make their visit go smoothly.
- The Arrival Guide
- How to Invite Family to the U.S.
- Childcare and Schools
- Backup Childcare Services
- Graduate Student Family Grants & Aid
- Legal Issues for Families
- Family Housing
- English Resources
- J-1 and J-2 Health Insurance Requirements
- Health Insurance for Students' Dependents
- Health Insurance for Visiting Scholars' and Dependents
- J-2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Work Authorization for J-2 Dependents
- The Berkeley Wives Group
- The Centre: Meetings for International
Spouses and Partners [pdf]