Berkeley International Office's student services model includes options for both virtual and in-person services.
Student advising hours are intended for UC Berkeley international students only. Parents of students may only join advising hours with their student. Faculty or staff with questions about international students should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the BIO Front Desk at 510-642-2818.
Document Pick-Up and Drop-Off
In-person document pick-up and drop-off is available during BIO's open hours (Monday-Friday 9 am-12 pm and 1-4 pm) with no appointment necessary. When picking up documents, remember that BIO has a 5 business day processing time for F-1 and J-1 student document requests. Your document will be ready to pick up by 1 pm 5 business days after your request submission date.
If you have upcoming international travel plans, please check your I-20 or DS-2019 for your most recent travel endorsement, found at the bottom of page 2 on the I-20, or on page 1 of the DS-2019. The travel endorsement is valid for the period listed below OR the expiration of the I-20/DS-2019, whichever is sooner.
- For enrolled F-1/J-1 students - the signature is valid for re-entry for 12 months.
- For F-1 students on post-completion OPT or STEM OPT, the signature is valid for 6 months.
- For J-1 Academic Training students- the signature is valid for re-entry for 12 months.
Please note that you do not need an updated travel endorsement on your I-20 or DS-2019 to leave the country. You will only need it for your reentry into the U.S. or to apply for a new visa if your visa will expire before you need to re-enter the U.S.
If you need an updated travel signature, choose one of these options:
- Drop off your I-20 or DS-2019 at Berkeley International Office. Your I-20/DS-2019 with an updated travel signature will be ready for you to pick up 5 business days later. (No appointments needed for document pick-up or drop-off).
- Bring your most recent printed I-20 or DS-2019 to In-Person Drop-in Advising and receive a same-day travel signature during your advising session.
Sign in for Virtual Drop-In Advising and receive a same-day electronic travel signature during your Virtual Advising session. You will need a clear, scanned pdf copy of your most recent I-20 or DS-2019 including all pages. Please ensure that the I-20 or DS-2019 has been signed by you.
- Submit a Replacement Document request to receive a new I-20 or DS-2019 with a new travel endorsement. (Note: BIO has a 5 business day processing time! F-1’s may receive I-20s via email. J-1s must either pick up their DS-2019 or select delivery by mail.)