J-1 students must obtain written approval from their program sponsor before beginning any type of employment. Authorization is employer-specific; if there is a change in the employment (including position, hiring unit, or number of hours per week), a new authorization is required.
If UC Berkeley is not the institution that issued the DS-2019, please consult with the program sponsor for information about work permission.
On-Campus Employment Rules:
- To complete the hiring process, student must show the completed form, signed by the Berkeley International Office Advisor, to the employer.
- Employment is limited to 20 hours perweek during the semester. Students may work full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during vacation periods.
- The on-campus employment authorization form is invalid if the student graduates, fails to maintain J-1 status, or transfers out of UC Berkeley.
- Employment authorization is valid for a maximum of one year per site of employment. Students should check the approved Authorization section of the form to determine the length of authorization and number of hours per week.
- To renew on-campus employment authorization or report changes, please resubmit this form with the updated information. Students must obtain a new work authorization form when there is a change in the number of hours per week.
On-Campus Employment/Fellowship Authorization Process
If UC Berkeley is the program sponsor (the institution that issued your DS-2019), follow the steps below:
- Request authorization before beginning on campus employment by submitting the completed J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Form to Berkeley International Office. The Advisor will sign the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form and report the employment authorization in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS).
- Pick up completed form in three (3) business days from Berkeley International Office.
- Apply for a Social Security Number. Use the signed J-1 Employment/Fellowship Authorization form to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).