Professors and Researchers

The information in this section is intended for visiting international professors and researchers who are coming to the U.S. temporarily for teaching or research positions. If you are UCB Staff or Faculty inviting an international scholar, see our UCB Departments section.

Types of Immigration Status for International Professors and Researchers

The UC Berkeley host department, in consulation with Berkeley International Office, will help you determine the most appropriate immigration status for your stay in the U.S.  For specific information regarding federal immigration reguations and university policies, select from the categories below.

For statistical data, see our International Visiting Scholars Annual Reports.

Prospective Visiting Professors
or Researchers

You must be invited by an academic department or lab who will serve as your host. For more information about visiting scholar policies and procedures, see Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

This is the most common status used for visiting international professors and researchers at UC Berkeley.

H-1B Temporary Workers

The H‑1B nonimmigrant status permits temporary employment in "Specialty Occupations." The minimum educational level acceptable for H-1B status is a bachelor's degree in the field of the proposed employment.



O-1 Aliens of Extraordinatry Ability

The O-1 is for people with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics or who have demonstrated extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

Permanent Residents

This status is reserved for international faculty and staff who have been offered permanent positions at UC Berkeley.

TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers

The TN category permits Canadian or Mexican citizens entry to the U.S. to be employed in certain designated professions, and/or engage in certain designated professional activities