Social Security Number (SSN) Application Steps
for F-1, J-1, and J-2 status:
- Read When to Apply for an SSN before submitting your application.
- Collect the required forms and documentation (see table below).
- Complete a Social Security Application Form SS-5.
- Submit the application and the required documents in person at the Social Security Administration's office. Request a verification receipt of your application.
- Wait approximately two weeks for the Social Security card to arrive in the mail.
- Present the Social Security card to employer for review.
- Store the original Social Security card in a safe place. Do not carry it with you.