J-1 On-Campus Fellowship/Payment Authorization
J-1 students must obtain written approval from their program sponsor before receiving any type of payment or fellowship.
- This type of authorization is also used for on-campus employment.
- The authorization form can be used to apply for a Social Security Number.
Authorization is department-specific and valid for 1 year at a time. If you will continue to receive the funding, you will need to renew the authorization every year.
If UC Berkeley is the program sponsor (the institution that issued your DS-2019), follow the steps below:
- Request authorization at least 5 business days before beginning on campus employment by submitting the completed J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Form to Berkeley International Office.
- A BIO adviser will process the employment authorization in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) and sign the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form. You may pick up the signed form in 5 business days from Berkeley International Office.
- Apply for a Social Security Number. Use the signed J-1 Employment/Fellowship Authorization form to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).