J-1 On-Campus Fellowship Authorization

J-1 On-Campus Fellowship/Payment Authorization

J-1 students must obtain written approval from their program sponsor before receiving any type of payment or fellowship.

Authorization is department-specific and valid for 1 year at a time. If you will continue to receive the funding, you will need to renew the authorization every year.

Authorization Process

If UC Berkeley is the program sponsor (the institution that issued your DS-2019), follow the steps below:

  1. Request authorization at least 5 business days before beginning on campus employment by submitting the completed J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Form to Berkeley International Office.
  2. A BIO adviser will process the employment authorization in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) and sign the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form. You may pick up the signed form in 5 business days from Berkeley International Office.
  3. Apply for a Social Security Number. Use the signed J-1 Employment/Fellowship Authorization form to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).