The Nonimmigrant Information Form (NIF)
What is the NIF?
The Non-immigrant Information Form (NIF) is an online application form that gathers information from international students about their status in the U.S. The NIF is also used to request a Certificate of Eligibility I-20 or DS-2019 for those who will have F-1 or J-1 student status while at UC Berkeley.
The NIF is for admitted students in degree or exchange programs. If you are attending UC Berkeley for Summer Sessions only, see our Summer Sessions information.
Who Must Complete The NIF?
All non-immigrant students must complete the NIF as part of their admissions acceptance. This includes students who intend to hold F-1 or J-1 status, as well as other classifications such as E-2, J-2, L-2 and H-4 (see Other Visa Classifications).
Accessing The NIF
- New admits: Use the NIF Task item in Cal Central to access the NIF after submitting your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
- Readmits: Use the NIF Task item in Cal Central to access the NIF. This should appear after the Office of the Registrar has processed your readmission.
- Returning Students completing degree this Summer: See information about Starting or Returning in Summer.
- EAP Students: Will receive email instructions from UCEAP; Use the NIF Task item in Cal Central to access the NIF; for questions, please contact UCEAP.
If you are unable to access the NIF or have technical difficulties with it, contact
Berkeley International Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I Need to Complete the NIF?
Gather the following items before you start the NIF:
- Your Student /CalNet ID and PIN/passphrase
- An e-copy of your Passport biographical/picture page
- Sufficient Proof of Funding (Click here for an estimate of expenses)
- Family Information (spouse and children, if joining you in the U.S.) and e-copies of their passport(s)
- Current U.S. Immigration information and documents (if you are currently in the U.S.)
- Student currently attending a US School: Your school information, SEVIS number and SEVIS release date
Starting or Returning in Summer
If you would like to start UCB classes in the Summer, refer to the instructions for Starting or Returning in Summer before completing your NIF.
Correcting Information on Your NIF
Once you submit the online NIF Form, you can no longer make changes electronically without permission from Berkeley International Office. Please email NIF@berkeley.edu with your desired changes and include your name and Student ID Number.
Track Your NIF Progress
If you have submitted the NIF online, you will receive an email confirmation. If there are any problems with your NIF, we will contact you by email. Please track the processing status of your NIF application by logging into the NIF.
Issuing Your I-20 or DS-2019
Berkeley International Office reviews NIFs on a first-come, first-served basis. In high season, it will take us approximately two to three weeks to produce your I-20 or DS-2019 after receiving a complete NIF application. This does not include mail delivery time. Submitting an incomplete NIF will require us to email you for additional information and may delay the issuance of your document. Please be assured that we work as quickly as possible to process all NIF applications.
You may choose Express Mail (3-5 days), US Airmail (1-4 weeks), or Pick Up to receive your I-20 or DS-2019.BIO recommends Express Mail for quicker delivery and added security.