The Nonimmigrant Information Form (NIF)
What is the NIF?
The Non-immigrant Information Form (NIF) is an online application form that gathers information from international students about their status in the U.S. The NIF is also used to request a Certificate of Eligibility I-20 or DS-2019 for those who will have F-1 or J-1 student status while at UC Berkeley.
The NIF is for Fall or Spring admitted students in degree or exchange programs. If you are attending UC Berkeley for Summer Sessions only, see our Summer Sessions information.
Who Must Complete The NIF?
All non-immigrant students must complete the NIF as part of their admissions acceptance. This includes students who intend to hold F-1 or J-1 status, as well as other classifications such as E-2, J-2, L-2 and H-4 (see Other Visa Classifications).
Accessing The NIF
- Spring 2017 admits: Use the NIF Task item in Cal Central to access the NIF after submitting your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
- Spring 2017 Readmits: Use the NIF Task item in Cal Central to access the NIF. This should appear after the Office of the Registrar has processed your readmission.
- Readmits who will complete degree in Summer: Contact Berkeley International Office at email@example.com.
- Spring 2017 EAP Students: Will receive email instructions from UCEAP; Use the NIF Task item in Cal Central to access the NIF; for questions, please contact UCEAP.
-Fall Admits: NIF access starts in March.
If you are unable to access the NIF or have technical difficulties with it, contact
Berkeley International Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Materials to Complete The NIF
Gather the following items before you start the NIF:
- Your Student /CalNet ID and PIN/passphrase
- Your Passport
- Required Funding Documentation (Click here for an estimate of expenses)
- Family Information (spouse and children, if joining you in the U.S.)
- Current U.S. Immigration information and documents (if you are currently in the U.S.)
- Transfer Students: Your SEVIS number and release date
Correcting Information on Your NIF
Once you submit the online NIF Form, you can no longer make changes electronically. If you already submitted the online NIF Form, please email NIF@berkeley.edu with your desired changes and include your name and Student ID Number.
Track Your NIF Progress
If you have submitted the NIF online and have uploaded all the required information to Berkeley International Office, you will receive an email confirmation. If there are any problems with your NIF, we will contact you by email. Please track the processing status of your NIF application by logging into the NIF.
Receiving Your I-20 or DS-2019
It will take approximately two to three weeks to produce your I-20 or DS-2019 (not including mail delivery time) after receiving a COMPLETE NIF application. If we need additional documentation we will contact you by email.
Your document will be sent via regular mail unless you request express shipping. Regular mail can take 1-3 weeks, depending on your delivery location. Express shipping will expedite your I-20/DS-2019 delivery time significantly. To request Express shipping, follow these Express Mail payment instructions.
If you would like to start early by enrolling in a UC Berkeley Summer Session program, follow the steps in the online NIF and at our web site: Fall Admits Starting in Summer.