12-Month OPT Reporting Requirements
Update your address and employment information to Berkeley International Office online through our Student SEVIS Update (SSU) form.
The following information must be reported to Berkeley International Office during the post-completion OPT period of authorization within 10 days of any changes:
- Your residential address
- Your phone and email address
- Employer('s) name
- Employer('s) address
- Job Title(s)
- Explanation of how your job(s) relates to your field of study at UCB
- Start and/or end dates of employment
- Any periods of unemployment
- Date of exiting the U.S. (You must provide date of exit if you decide to exit the U.S and complete your OPT status prior to the end date of your OPT)
- If your visa status changes while on OPT
You are required to update this information within 10 days of any changes. Keep a receipt copy of the web site each time you report a change.
How to Submit Reports
Update your address and employment information and submit your validation reports to Berkeley International Office online through our Student SEVIS Update (SSU) forms. You will need to Register for the Site the first time you use it. After Registering you will need your Student ID number and your SEVIS number to log in (your SEVIS number is found at the top left section your I-20 and begins with "N000..."). The information you enter on this web page will be stored at Berkeley International Office and is used only for reporting to SEVIS, as mandated by federal regulations.
60-Day Grace Period After OPT
You are allowed a 60-day grace period following your OPT expiration date to leave the U.S., change your status, or transfer your F-1 to a new school or program. Please keep your address information updated during this period as well (you are not allowed to work during the grace period).
24-Month STEM Extension OPT Reporting Requirements
Any changes to STEM employment or student personal information must be reported within 10 days of any change.
Students who have completed 12 Months of OPT and have been approved for the 24-Month STEM Extension can use Student SEVIS Update (SSU) system to make basic changes to personal information, employer start/end dates, unemployment, or reporting the ending of the OPT period either by a final exit from the US or change of visa status. The steps to change the STEM employer are slightly more complex and are outlined below.
Change in STEM Employer
If you change employers during your 24-Month STEM period follow these instructions. (If your STEM EAD has not yet been approved by USCIS, contact a BIO advisor for more information.)
1) Log into SSU and do the following:
- Add the new employer information.
- Add an end date to your previous employer.
- Update your address/phone/email.
- Upload a copy of your STEM EAD.
- Upload a new I-983 form for the new employer.
- Upload the Final Evaluation from I-983 page 5 for your previous employer.
Material Changes to I-983 STEM Employer
Both STEM OPT students and employers must report material changes to, or deviations from, the student's formal training plan. This requires submission of a new I-983, emailed to SEVISCoordinator@berkeley.edu. Material changes include:
- Any change of the employer's EIN number, resulting from a change in the employer's ownership or structure.
- Any reduction in student compensation that is not tied to a reduction in hours worked.
- Any significant decrease in hours per week that a student engages in a STEM training opportunity.
- Changes to the employer's commitments or student's learning objectives as documented on the Form I-983.
6-Month Validation Reports & 12-Month Evaluations
Be advised that your F-1 record may be terminated for failure to submit these required updates.
- Students on OPT 24 Month STEM must also submit a "Validation Report" every 6 months through SSU starting from the date the extension starts and ending when the student's F-1 status ends or the extension ends, whichever is first.
- OPT 24 STEM Students must also submit a 12 and final, 24-month Evaluation Report (page 5 of the I-983 Form). A final validation is also required if a student leaves an employer. Submit your annual evaluations through SSU.
- For students on a regular 24-Month STEM Extension, the 6 and 12-month clock begins on the start date of your STEM EAD.
- For students who applied for an additional 7 months of STEM ( during May-August 2016), your 6 and 12 month reporting clock begins with the date your 7 month application was received by USCIS. Check the received date on the I-797 receipt notice you received when filing for the additional 7 months. (Technically, all STEM rules applied to you as soon as the request was submitted to USCIS.)
Employer's Reporting Requirements
If your employment is terminated for any reason, your employer is required to notify Berkeley International Office within 5 days. You must inform your employer of the reporting requirements at the end of your employment. Ask them to email Berkeley International Office at Internationaloffice@berkeley.edu with the following text in the subject line of the email: "OPT Employment Termination." Your name, your SEVIS ID number and the start and end date of the STEM employment must be included in the email message.