F-1 and J-1 Students planning to transfer from UC Berkeley to another school in the U.S. must follow an immigration transfer process through SEVIS in order to maintain valid immigration status. Before completing the following steps, J-1 students should discuss their plans with a BIO advisor.
- Obtain admission at the new school.
- Submit the Transfer Out form to Berkeley International Office, in person or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: Some admitting schools may also have their own Transfer In or Transfer Verification form for BIO to sign as well.)
- Attach a copy of your admission letter or proof of admission to this form.
- Berkeley International Office will release your record electronically to the new school on the last day of the current term.
- On the release date, the new school will be able to issue an I-20/DS-2019 for transfer. The UC Berkeley I-20/DS-2019 will no longer be valid and Berkeley International Office can no longer make changes to the record. Contact your new school about the delivery of your new I-20/DS-2019.
- Visit your new school's International Student office to complete the transfer. The transfer must be completed no later than 15 days from the start date on the new school I-20/DS-2019.
- This form, and the transfer of your SEVIS record, does not end your enrollment at UC Berkeley. Please work with your department, college or the University Registrar to cancel or withdraw for the current or future semesters.
Students may apply to many schools, but the SEVIS record can only be transferred to one school. Once the record is transferred out from UC Berkeley to the new school, it cannot be changed after the release date. Therefore, before requesting a release, you should make sure to decide which school you will attend.
For most students, the transfer release date should be:
- Current Students: the day after the last day of the semester or summer session at UC Berkeley.
- Students on Post-Completion OPT: the day after the last date of employment
- Students on Post-Completion AT: the day after the last date of employment OR the day before the DS-2019 end date, whichever is earlier.
If a different release date is requested, please meet with an advisor at Berkeley International Office.
When is the latest release date?
- For F-1 students: the release date can be no later than the end of the 60-day grace period. The grace period ends 60 days after the last date of the semetser OR the end of the OPT period, whichever is later. Please allow three business days for processing.
- For J-1 students: the release date must be before the program end date listed on the DS-2019.
If the time period between the end of enrollment/end of OPT/AT at UC Berkeley and the start date of the program at the new school will be more than five months, please meet with an advisor at Berkeley International Office.
For students on OPT, see more information about Beginning a New Program after OPT.