OPT STEM Extensions
The OPT STEM Extension is a one-time, 17-month extension of post-cmpletion OPT
(for a total eligibility of up to 29 months) available to eligible F-1 students only.
A student must be:
- A recipient of a U.S. Bachelor’s, Master’s, and/or Doctoral degree in a STEM designated degree program (science, technology, engineering, mathematics).
- Currently authorized for OPT and have not exceeded 90 days of unemployment.
- Applying based on the same degree as OPT, not a previous degree.
- Employed or have an offer letter related to the student's field of study from an employer who is participating in the USCIS E-Verify progam (see information below).
- Applying before the end date of your current 12-month OPT expiration date.
* Only one 17-month STEM extension is granted per lifetime regardless of additional degrees awarded or level of degrees.
What is E-Verify?
- E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.
- A list of employers who have self-reported participation in E-Verify is maintained by USCIS but students are advised to confirm with employers directly regarding eligiblity.
- An employer's participation in E-Verify is voluntary and is currently free to employers. If your company wants to participate in E-Verify, see the DHS web site.
When To Apply
- USCIS must receive the completed application by the end date of the student's current 12-month OPT.
- Due to any potential technical delays, Berkeley International Office (BIO) recommends that students submit the OPT STEM Extension I-20 Request Form to BIO at least 2 weeks before their current OPT EAD expires.
- Students may apply as early as 120 days/4 months before their OPT EAD end date.
- OPT will be automatically extended for up to 180 days while the STEM OPT application is pending, however, to travel, students must have an unexpired EAD card. See more about Travel and Re-entry to the U.S. while on OPT.
- Berkeley International Office recommends that students apply early.
How to Apply
- View the OPT STEM Extension Tutorial & Application Guide for full details on the application process and maintaing status while on OPT STEM.
- Request STEM OPT I-20 from Berkeley International Office.
- Prepare and collect all application materials (see Application Guide).
- Mail completed application to USCIS before the end date of the current 12-month EAD. You are required to be physically present in the US to mail the application.
Mailing instructions may be found in the Application Guide.
Reporting Requirements while on OPT STEM
While on STEM OPT, students must validate their information every six months and update Berkeley International Office within 10 days of any changes to the following information:
- Residential Address
- Phone & Email Address
- Employer Information
- Start Date of Employment
- More than 10 days of unemployment
- Date of departure from the U.S. (if students leave prior ro the OPT STEM end date)