If you are not able to finish your degree program by the end date noted on your I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1), you can request an extension of your program. The length of time allowed for an extension is based on the recommendation of your academic advisor.
Deadline for Extensions
An extension of your I-20 or DS-2019 must be completed before the end date of the document. If your I-20 or DS-2019 expires while you are still a student, you will be considered in violation of your status.
- Complete the Extension of Program form and print it out.
- Have your academic advisor sign the Extension of Program form.
- Attach proof of funding as instructed on the form (the requirements are different for F-1 and J-1 students).
- Turn in the Extension of Program form to Berkeley International Office. If your request for an extension is approved, a new I-20 or DS 2019 will be ready for you in three business days. If important information is missing, or if there is any problem with your request, you will be contacted via email.
Change of Academic Level
- Undergraduate to Graduate
If you need an extension because you are changing academic levels from an undergraduate to a graduate program, you must use the Non-Immigrant Information Form (NIF) to request a new I-20 or DS-2019. You should not use the Extension of Program form.
- Master's to Ph.D.
Attach a copy of your admission letter from the department to the Change of Level: Masters to Ph.D. form and follow the application instructions as listed above. Your Ph.D. I-20 will be issued when your admission to the doctoral program is officially recognized by the Graduate Division or after your last day of Masters-level authorized employment.