Full-time Enrollment for Summer Degree-Seeking Students

Visiting Summer Session Students

For full-time enrollment requirements for visiting international students only, visit the Summer Sessions Summer Enrollment Requirements web page.

Continuing Students

If you are already a degree-seeking international student at UC Berkeley with F-1 or J-1 student status, and you will be continuing your studies in the upcoming Fall semester, summer is considered your "annual vacation," and summer enrollment is therefore not required. If you choose to enroll in the summer, you can take as many or as few summer classes as you would like. Full-time enrollment requirements and online course limitations do not apply during the "annual vacation."

Transfer Students

If you are a Transfer student beginning early, full-time enrollment in summer may not be required if your I-20 or DS-2019 start date is for the Fall. For more information, please see our Transfer Students page.

Starting in Summer

If you have decided to start your classes at UC Berkeley (or are returning to UC Berkeley) in the summer and have requested an I-20 or DS-2019 that starts in summer, you must enroll full-time and observe online enrollment limitations. Dropping below full-time, enrollment, excess online enrollment, or withdrawing without approval from Berkeley International Office may result in a violation of your immigration status.

Contact a Berkeley International Office adviser if you face unexpected, extreme circumstances and are considering dropping below full-time only after you arrive. I-20s will not be issued to students enrolled less than full-time. Waitlisted courses do not count toward full-time enrollment.

Ending in Summer

If you are ending your program of study at UC Berkeley in the summer, then summer is a required term of enrollment, NOT an "annual vacation." You must therefore either (1) enroll full-time according to the chart below, (2) for students in certain exceptional graduate programs, enroll in units according to the "graduate unit exceptions per department" chart, or (3) request a BIO Final Term Reduced Course Load authorization.  If Summer is your final semester, you cannot have 100% online enrollment in your final term.

Be sure to check the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019. If it needs to be adjusted to reflect your plan to complete in summer, please refer to the program extension page or contact BIO to shorten your I-20 if you are graduating early in summer.

How many units is full-time enrollment in summer?

You must enroll full-time based on your session(s) of enrollment. Please see the chart below (click to enlarge).

Can I take online courses?

Berkeley’s instructional model is primarily in-person, but it includes hybrid and remote instruction as well. If your I-20 begins in the Summer, only 1 class, or 3 units may be online for purposes of full-time Summer enrollment. If your I-20 begins in Summer and your only enrollment is Session E or F, you cannot have any online enrollment. If Summer is your final semester, you cannot have 100% online enrollment in your final term.

Can I add/drop classes?

You can add and drop classes as long as (1) you stay enrolled in session(s) that match the dates on your I-20 and (2) you stay enrolled full-time according to those dates. Before you drop or add a class, please check the Summer Sessions deadlines for adding and dropping classes. Further information on how to add and drop classes can be found on the Summer Sessions Enrollment Changes for International Students page.

Can I change my session(s)?

Take careful note of the dates indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019. You are required to attend classes during that entire period of time. Changing session dates after your I-20 or DS-2019 has been issued is not allowed. If you are unable to attend classes during the entire period listed on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must contact internationaloffice@berkeley.edu immediately. Other policies and procedures for making schedule changes can be found on the Summer Sessions website.