Can I take classes while on OPT?

A student on OPT must be actively searching for employment or actually working full-time, time spent going to school may only be an incidental part of a student's stay in the U.S. while on OPT.

If a student decides to begin a new full-time program during your OPT, he/she must get a new I-20 from the school and forfeit the remainder of his/her OPT time, depending on when the new program begins. If the new program is not at UC Berkeley, you must apply for a transfer of your SEVIS record. Your OPT automatically ends when the Berkeley International Office releases your SEVIS I-20 to the new school. If your new program is at UC Berkeley, you must request a change of level to your current I-20. See an adviser at Berkeley International Office or at your new school if you are considering this option.