OPT 24-Month STEM Extension
On March 11, 2016, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security published a new STEM Final Rule, with effective date May 10, 2016. NAFSA: Association of International Educators provides a summary of the rule and current updates and background. Detailed information for students and employers can also be found on the DHS Study in the States OPT STEM Hub. See below for a summary of key points in the new STEM rule.
UC Berkeley Departments hiring F-1 students on STEM OPT should review the Hiring Scholars on F-1 OPT webpage.
Please consult with the Berkeley International Office if you need help determining whether your employment qualifies as on-campus.
How to apply for STEM OPT
Eligible students may apply for a 24-Month STEM Extension up to 90 days prior to the expiration of their OPT EAD.
- Fully review the Berkeley International Office 24-Month STEM Extension Tutorial for detailed instructions on both the BIO application process and submission to USCIS. Pay careful attention to the Tutorial as it contains specific information as to how to complete the I-983. It is required that you view the tutorial prior to applying.
- Log in to the Student SEVIS Update (SSU) system to submit your STEM application to BIO. (Follow all steps carefully as most processing delays are due to failure to update all new required fields in SSU.) You must:
- Update all current & previous OPT employment
- Update your current address/email/phone
- Upload a copy of your OPT EAD
- Click the "Apply for STEM OPT Extension" link to start your STEM application. You will be asked to identify your STEM Employer, provide additional information and upload a copy of form I-983 Training Plan.
- Also in your SSU Hub, submit your $300 Post-Completion Services Fee to Berkeley International Office.
Credit/Debit Card: Make your payment in your SSU Hub by clicking "Submit your STEM OPT Payment" link at the bottom of the SSU Hub homepage.
Check or Money Order: Make check or money order payable to order of "UC Regents" and write your Student ID Number in the notes/memo section; submit your check or money order to BIO in person or via mail. Include a note with name, student id and reason for payment.
The 2016 STEM Extension Rule
2016 STEM Extension rule institutes significant changes for the F-1 OPT STEM Extension, including:
|Duration||Effective May 10, 2016 the STEM Extension will be for 24 months.|
|STEM Application Period||STEM applications may only be submitted up to 90 days prior to the initial 12-Month OPT EAD expiration.|
|Eligibility for 2nd STEM Extension||The new rule allows a total of 2 lifetime STEM Extensions, the 2nd after earning a new STEM-eligible degree at a higher level and obtaining a new, higher level of 12-Month OPT|
|Eligible Based on Previously Earned Degree||May be based on a previously earned STEM Degree|
|Updated STEM Definition and CIP Categories||STEM Definition and CIP Categories|
|Required Training Plan and Form I-983||Requires significant responsibility of the employer to provide a training plan related to the field of study, and attestations to wages and compensation being commensurate with "similarly situated U.S. workers"|
|New Obligations for Students, Schools, and Employers||6 Month validation reports, annual evaluations, and submission of a new I-983 in case of material changes to the original I-983 are now required. Employers must agree to Department of Homeland Security site visits, as well as provide attestations to wages and working conditions|
|Types of Employment Allowed||
Volunteer/Unpaid positions and self employment are NOT allowed by the 24-Month OPT STEM Extension.
STEM-eligible employers must have e-Verify & EIN numbers and the student must have a "bona fide employer-employee relationship". To establish a bona fide relationship, the employer may not be the student’s “employer” in name only.
According to USCIS updates August 2018:
Temp/Staffing Agencies, 3rd Party Worksites
|Increased Unemployment||Students with 24-Month STEM Extensions may have up to 150 days of unemployment during the total OPT period including initial 12-Month and 24-Month STEM OPT period
STEM Reporting Requirements & Address/Employment Updates
There are significantly more reporting requirements while on STEM OPT. Please see our OPT Reporting page for more information regarding your obligations during the STEM Extension. This includes updating your personal or employment information, as well as how to comply with with special STEM 6-Month validation and Annual Evaluation requirements.
Changing Employers While on STEM
Please see our OPT Reporting page for more information regarding how to change your employer while on your STEM OPT period
Travel while on STEM OPT
Please see our OPT Travel page for more information regarding what you need to travel with while on STEM OPT.