Prospective Students

Prospective Students

Image credit:

Degree-Seeking Students

For information about becoming a UC Berkeley student, please contact the Admissions Offices directly:

Undergraduate Students

Apply for admission through the Undergraduate Admission website. See also the International Admissions information.

Graduate Students

Admissions applications are distributed directly from the academic departments. See the Graduate Division web site for more information.

F or J: Which Visa is Right for You?

Most degree-seeking international students attend UC Berkeley in F-1 or J-1 status. See above for a comparison and eligibility criteria.

Non-Degree-Seeking Students

The programs listed below are for students who are interested in taking classes at UC Berkeley but will not pursue a diploma. Please contact these programs directly for more information.

Education Abroad Program (EAP)

This is a reciprocal exchange program between the University of California's campuses and schools around the world. Students exchange places at their particular institution, paying tuition and fees in their home country. There must be an agreement between the University of California and your school to participate in this program. Students participating in the UCEAP program generally attend under J-1 visa status.

Concurrent Enrollment Program through the UC Berkeley Extension

This program allows you to enroll in classes at UC Berkeley (with the consent of the instructor) without being admitted for a degree program. Although you are enrolling in this way, you will still be expected to follow the course, take the exams and turn in assignments as a regularly admitted UC Berkeley student would.

UC Berkeley Extension International Programs 

International Programs through UC Berkeley Extension provide a variety of short-term intensive study abroad programs for international students of all ages. From undergraduate and graduate preparation programs to business-focused certificate programs with full-time, day and evening courses available, International Programs offers programming for students with a variety of educational goals. Some programs provide university level credits for coursework. 

Continuing Education Certificate Programs

UC Berkeley Extension offers several options for international students who want to pursue post-baccalaureate continuing education for advanced degree preparation or career and professional advancement. Certificate programs are full-time academic and internship programs in business, art, design, and technology disciplines.

Berkeley Summer Sessions

All of UC Berkeley's summer session of classes are open to the public.

Visiting Scholars, Researchers and Professors

Individuals interested in pursuing research or teaching at UC Berkeley must be invited as a "Visiting Scholar" by a professor in an academic department or lab who will serve as their host.

Resources for Study in the U.S.

More detailed information and resources for study 
in the U.S. can be found through:

University of California sign