Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN)

ITIN Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 
For Fellowship/Scholarship Recipients

The ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a U.S. taxpayer identification number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It's for individuals who are required to have a taxpayer identification number for tax purposes, but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security Number (SSN).

Do F-1 students need an ITIN?

An F-1 visa holder who is not working but receiving a non-service fellowship, scholarship, or grant in excess of tuition and fees must apply for an ITIN. To determine if an ITIN, SSN, or nothing at all is needed, please refer to the diagram below: