H-1B Temporary Workers

The H-1B nonimmigrant program permits temporary employment in "specialty occupations" defined as those requiring "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge." A prospective H-1B employee must have professional skills and a university degree (at minimum, a Bachelor's degree) in the same or a related field as the job offered. See the table below for more information on eligibilty requirements, maintaining H-1B status, and travel.

H-1B Petitions at UC Berkeley

All requests for H-1B status at UC Berkeley must be initiated through the hiring department. If the hiring department would like to find out whether or not a position is eligible for H-1B status, please contact an Employment-Based Adviser at h1b@berkeley.edu. See our Departments webpage for more information on H-1B petitions at UC Berkeley.