Professors & Researchers

COVID-19 RESOURCES: Please see BIO's Immigration Policy Updates & FAQ webpage and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates & FAQ page for answers to common questions and support resources. Department administrators, please also see our March 16th email with important updates about BIO's response to COVID-19.

The information in this section is intended for visiting international professors and researchers who are coming to the U.S. temporarily for teaching or research positions. If you are UCB Staff or Faculty inviting an international scholar, see our UCB Departments section.

Types of Immigration Status for International Professors and Researchers

The UC Berkeley host department, in consultation with Berkeley International Office, will help you determine the most appropriate immigration status for your stay in the U.S. For specific information regarding federal immigration regulations and university policies, select from the categories below.

For statistical data, see our International Visiting Scholars Annual Reports.