There are many resources available to help you find housing on or near the UC Berkeley campus. The Cal Housing office should be the first place you start your search for housing on or off-campus. Degree-seeking undergraduate students planning to live on campus should also visit Living at Cal.
For any student interested in living off campus, the Graduate Assembly has developed: The GA’s Housing Guide: Best Practices for Finding Housing which offers an overview of the housing situation in Berkeley and the Bay Area. The guide offers a lot of information on the average prices of housing in the Bay Area and tips for finding housing after you have arrived.
We also recommend you review our Arrival Guide for information on Berkeley neighborhoods, housing search strategies, utility services, and more.
You may need a short-term place to stay when you arrive in Berkeley. Listed below are some inexpensive places close to campus. If you mention that you are affiliated with UC Berkeley, you may be eligible for a discount. Reservations are recommended.
- Summer On-Campus Housing for Degree-seeking and UCEAP Students
- Temporary Housing Options (VSPA office)
- Cal Rentals
- Hotels and Motels near campus
- Berkeley YMCA Hotel & Residence
- Berkeley Lab Guest House
- Sabbatical Homes
- Berkeley Hostels
- Couch Surfing
Permanent Housing Search Resources
- Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP)
Offers a wide range of options to undergraduates, transfer students, graduate students, visiting scholars and families
- International House
An exciting home to around 600 students and scholars from around the world, including Americans.
- Moving off-campus 101 BIO's short guide to transitioning from living on-campus to off-campus. It covers how to search for and secure housing and protect yourself in the process.
- UC Berkeley Cal Rentals
Provides a wide selection of rental listings, counseling and written information on finding housing, and setting up telephone and utility (gas/electricity) services.
- ASUC Housing Portal - Searchable map of rental options, with filters for rent, number of bedrooms, length of stay, etc.
- Housing and Accommodations (VSPA Office) - List of housing resources compiled by the VSPA Office for Postdocs, Visiting Scholars, and VIsiting Student Researchers
- Berkeley Student Cooperative
Student-run, non-profit housing cooperative that provides quality, low-cost housing opportunities to university students. Each of the 20 houses is close to the UCB campus and democratically run by its members.
Offers postings about available housing in the East Bay or other parts of the Bay Area. Be sure to review the information about scams and personal safety on Craigslist
- The Berk
Fully furnished, dorm-style housing close to campus. The term of the Residency Agreement is roughly the UC Berkeley academic year (middle of August - middle of May). Summer leases are also available.
Scams & Fraud Awareness
Check out our Scams and Safety information for precautionary tips about finding housing.