Image credit:
Photo: Keegan Houser

Summer Student Populations

International students enrolled in Summer classes come from a variety of populations with different immigration needs and requirements. Please review the populations below to determine which population you belong to.

Visiting Students Only

If you are a visiting Summer Session student, your immigration record and documents will be supported by Berkeley Summer Sessions (not Berkeley International Office). Visit their International Students Visa Information web page for detailed instructions and information.

UC Berkeley Fall Admits Starting in Summer Session

If you have been admitted for a degree program in the Fall term and you will start your program early by enrolling in Summer Sessions, you must complete the Nonimmigrant Information Form (NIF) to request your I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1). When completing the NIF, indicate that you are a Fall admit so we can prepare an I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) to cover your summer and fall program dates. Visit the Fall Admits Starting in Summer web page for detailed information.

Continuing UC Berkeley Students

If you have an F-1 or J-1 student status, you will not need to request a new I-20 or DS-2019 for summer classes unless it expires before the end of the summer.

Returning UC Berkeley Students

If you have withdrawn from a degree program at UC Berkeley for a semester or more, and you are planning to return as an F-1 or J-1 student in the Summer, use the Nonimmigrant Information Form (NIF) for requesting your I-20 or DS-2019. For more information, see Returning Students.

Transfer Students

If you are an F-1 student attending another U.S. institution immediately prior to your UC Berkeley Summer Sessions program and you do not plan to resume your studies at that school, you must complete the following steps to request an F-1 I-20 form from UC Berkeley to "transfer" your record to us.

If you will be transferring your record and attending UC Berkeley for Summer Sessions only, see the Summer Session’s Transfer web page.

If you are a Fall admit transfer student who is taking classes in the Summer, follow the instructions on BIO’s Transfer web page to obtain an I-20 with a Fall semester start date. With a Fall I-20, you may take as many or as few summer units as you wish.

Full-time Enrollment Requirements

Full-time enrollment is required for F-1 international students whose I-20 starts in summer. Find out how many units you need to be full-time.

Required Online Arrival Confirmation

All F-1 students with an I-20 from Berkeley International Office must complete the online Arrival Confirmation & U.S. Address/Phone Update before the first day of class.

Students Who Do NOT need an I-20 from UC Berkeley

In the following cases, you do NOT need to request an I-20 from UC Berkeley or UC Berkeley Extension:

  • If you are attending another U.S. school in F-1 or J-1 status and you plan to resume your studies at that school immediately after your Summer Session program. Make sure to check your plans with your current school's international office. Your I-20/DS-2019 must have an end date AFTER August 11, 2023. If so, you are allowed to take classes part-time or full-time at UC Berkeley during Summer Session only.
  • If you are in the United States in a nonimmigrant status other than F-1 or J-1 and that status allows you to be a full-time or part-time student.

WARNING! Visitor Visas or Visitor Entry: Berkeley International Office can neither advise nor assist students who choose to enter the United States using B1/B-2 or ESTA /Visa Waiver Program(VWP). Study restrictions apply. All international students are strongly encouraged to enroll full-time and obtain the appropriate student visa status.