This general information workshop is for UC Berkeley international students and scholars whose immigration status is J-1 and J-2 and who are subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement. Not all J exchange visitors are subject to this requirement.
J exchange visitors (students and scholars) who are subject to this requirement must return to their country of last legal permanent residence for two years or obtain a waiver of this requirement before they are eligible for H (temporary employment), L status (intracompany transfer), K (fiancé(e)) or Permanent Residence (a green card). Read more about this rule here.
- Purpose and requirements of J Exchange Visitor Program
- What makes a J Exchange Visitor subject to the Two-Year Home Country requirement
- Considerations for timing the application of a waiver
- When to see an adviser at Berkeley International Office
All workshops will be held online via Zoom due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Fall 2021 Schedule
- Tuesday, October 26, 1–2:30 p.m. PT (register)
- We recommend having copies of your current and previous Form DS-2019s and your passport available so you can reference them during the presentation.