This general information workshop is for UC Berkeley international students and scholars whose immigration status is J-1 and J-2 and who are subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement. Not all J exchange visitors are subject to this requirement.
J exchange visitors (students and scholars) who are subject to this requirement must return to their country of last legal permanent residence for two years or obtain a waiver of this requirement before they are eligible for H (temporary employment), L status (intracompany transfer), or Permanent Residence (a green card). Read more about this rule here.
- J Program and the Two Year Home Country Physical Presence Requirement
- What makes a J exchange visitor "subject"
- Timing for the application of a waiver
- U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulatory, policy, and practice updates impacting the two year home residency requirement
All workshops will be held at International House. Room location will be posted at the entrance.
Spring 2020 schedule
- Wednesday, January 29, 10am
- There is no fee for this workshop.
- It is not necessary to pre-enroll.
- Bring to the workshop all copies of your DS-2019s (your J visa document) and your passport if you would like an Adviser to review them for a preliminary determination of whether or not you are subject to the 2-year rule.