Other Visa Types (Non-F or J)

There are a variety of visa classifications other than F or J that allow school attendance in the U.S. A short list of the most common types of non-F/J visa classifications attending UC Berkeley are listed below. If you are not certain what activites are allowed under your current visa category, check with your current visa sponsor or immigraiton legal counsel.

For information about how these other types of visa classifications affect California residency for tuition purposes at UC Berkeley, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Dependent Status

Students who hold a "dependent status" are in the U.S. with parents or their spouse and their immigration status depends on this relationship. As a dependent child, your status is only valid until age 21. If you hold a dependent-child status and will turn 21 within the next six months to a year, you may need to change status. It is important that you discuss the change of status process with an advisor at BIO as early as possible. For more information, see BIO's change of status information.

  • A-2 Diplomat
  • E-2 Treaty Trader or Investor
  • J-2 Student or Scholar
  • L-2 Intra-Company Transferee
  • H-4 Temporary Worker

Independent Status

Some students may hold their own independent non-immigrant status, such as:

  • A-1 Diplomat
  • H-1B Temporary Worker
  • I-1 Journalist
  • L-1 Intra-company Transferee

If you are planning to cease the activity of that status (employment or other obligations), you must change status to an F-1 or J-1 student to remain legally in the U.S. and attend the University. Contact a Berkeley International Office Adviser and review BIO's change of status information to help you plan before making any changes.

More Information

For more information about various types of non-immigrant status, visit the U.S. Department of State website.