The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a U.S. government system that manages data and application processes for F-1 and J-1 nonimmigrants in the United States. If you are beginning a new program in the U.S., you are required to pay a one-time fee before you may obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa and enter the United States. The SEVIS fee is in addition to any visa fees you may be required to pay at a U.S. consulate. F-2 and J-2 dependent family members are not required to pay the fee. This fee is not a University fee and provides no funds or services to the University.
- Fee payment information can be found at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
- Payment and receipt of the fee must be made before a visa can be issued by a U.S. consulate and entry to the U.S.
- Payment of the fee must be made at least 3 business days prior to making an application for an F-1 or J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate.
- Citizens of Canada and certain islands exempt from visa requirements must pay the fee at least 3 business days prior to entering the U.S. at a U.S. port of entry.
- The fee cannot be paid at a U.S. consulate or at a U.S. port of entry. (Note: Some consulates in China and India may be able to collect the SEVIS fee together with visa fees. Please contact the U.S. consulate for fee payment information.)
Methods of Payment
- Online payment can be made at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement FMJFEE.com.
Payment can be made by Visa, Mastercard or American Express. Please note: Individuals who were born in, are legal permanent residents of, or citizens from the following 5 African countries cannot use this payment option: Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, and Nigeria.
- Complete the online form (I-901) as instructed.
- Enter your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Enter the SEVIS ID number on your I-20 or DS-2019 (found in the upper right corner of the F-1 I-20 or upper left of the DS-2019 starting with characters N00...).
- Print the online receipt after completing the payment form.
Read the payment instructions and download Form I-901 (pdf). Be sure to allow adequate mailing time to send the fee payment and to receive the payment receipt.
Read the payment instructions for Western Union payment at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Select the instructions according to whether you are making payment inside or outside the U.S. and whether you are an F or J student at the bottom of the page.
Your Payment Receipt
- After paying the fee,you can print your payment confirmation from the FMJFEE.com website. If paying online, be sure to print the receipt at the end of your transaction.
- The SEVIS ID on the payment confirmation receipt must always match the SEVIS ID on the most current F-1 I-20 or J-1 DS-2019.
- Make and keep extra copies of your SEVIS fee payment receipt. You should keep your receipt for your entire period in the U.S.
- Present a copy of the receipt with your visa application at the U.S. consulate and at the U.S. port of entry. Carry the receipt with you during any future travel into the U.S.
- F-2 and J-2 dependent family members should present a copy of the receipt when applying for F-2 or J-2 visas and when traveling into the U.S.