The application period typically occurs at the beginning of each fall & spring semester. The fall application opens in mid-August and closes in mid-September. The spring application opens in mid-January and closes in mid-February. Instructions for accessing the application and application deadlines will be announced via email during the application period and posted below.
Students must meet the below eligibility criteria to apply for need-based financial aid:
- Have demonstrated financial need
- Have completed two semesters in current visa status and current program at UC Berkeley prior to the semester in which you are requesting aid. Summer does not count toward the two-semester requirement
- Be a full-time student at UC Berkeley
- Undergraduates only: must have completed at least 60 units prior to the current semester.
- The following students are NOT eligible: Students on Filing Fee, students in self-supporting programs (e.g. MFE, LLM, Evening-Weekend MBA, Executive MBA, MAS, MIDS, MPA, M.Eng), undergraduates who have received 2 previous need-based financial aid awards. Students on In Absentia are not eligible for the Graduate Parent Grant.
Students who have experienced unforeseen economic changes are encouraged to speak with a BIO adviser about their financial situation.
Types of Awards (available through the BIO need-based award application process)
Tuition & Fee Grants (Fall & Spring)
Emergency tuition and fee grants are offered based on financial need and changes in the applicant's financial situation. Grants are paid directly toward required tuition and fees, do not need to be repaid, and are offered to both undergraduate and graduate students. Note: Graduate tuition and fee grants may NOT go toward Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition (PDST).
International Graduate Student Parent Grant (Fall & Spring)
International graduate students who have a child living with them in the Bay Area are eligible to apply. Parent grants will be awarded based on financial need and changes in the applicant's financial situation. Grants are applied directly to tuition and fees or as a stipend. Students on Filing Fee and In Absentia are not eligible. Only one parent per family may apply for the parent grant in any given semester.
Undergraduate Need and Merit Based Scholarships (Fall only)
International undergraduate students who meet the above eligibility criteria may also be considered for a need and merit based scholarship, which takes into account both financial need as well as academic achievement. Scholarships are offered in the fall and awards are split between the fall and spring semester.
Special Population Scholarships (Fall only)
The Berkeley Club of Hong Kong and the Berkeley Club of Taiwan offer undergraduate scholarships for citizens of Hong Kong, mainland China, Macau, and Taiwan. Preference is given to individuals who also have a permanent home address in Hong Kong, mainland China, Macau, or Taiwan. Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements listed above except #2 and #4.
Links to the online application will appear on this webpage during the application period only.