Virtual Drop-In Student Advising hours (PDT)
Drop-in Virtual Student Advising is available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10am-12pm (Pacific Time)*, with no appointment needed.
(In-Person Drop-In Advising is available in the afternoons.)
Please note that there is no student advising on Wednesdays.
*Upcoming schedule changes:
- Expanded virtual drop-in advising hours (Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10am-12pm AND 1-4pm (Pacific Time)) are available Tuesday, December 20 - Thursday, December 22, 2022, and Tuesday, January 3 - Friday, January 13, 2023. (In lieu of In-Person Drop-In Advising.)
- No in-person or virtual advising is available Friday, December 23, 2022 - Monday, January 2, 2023.
How to access Drop-In Virtual Student Advising
Step 1: Sign in
Sign in for advising Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between 10am-12pm. The sign in sheet may close earlier (between 11am-12pm) if there are long wait times. As long as you are signed in AND in the waiting room, you are guaranteed to speak with an advisor. The sign in form is only open for sign-ins during these posted times.
Step 2: Join the Zoom meeting
After signing in, join the BIO Drop-in Virtual Student Advising Zoom meeting.
You will be placed in a waiting room until it is your turn to speak with an advisor. Only students who have signed in for advising (Step 1) will be seen by an adviser. Please note that during peak advising periods, wait times may be up to an hour. We are doing our best to see students as quickly as possible. Your patience is appreciated!
- ZOOM NAME: Make sure that your Zoom display name matches the name you have used in the sign in form.
- NO SHOWS: If you are not present when called, an advisor will an advisor will mark you as a NO SHOW. You will need to sign in again (Step 1) and re-join the meeting (Step 2) if you would like to speak with an advisor.
- AUDIO ISSUES/NOT RESPONDING: If an advisor cannot connect with you after multiple attempts, you will be removed from the meeting. You will need to sign in again (Step 1) and re-join the meeting (Step 2) if you would like to speak with an advisor.
All participants are required to be signed into a Zoom account. Use your CalNet ID to sign into Zoom for signing into Zoom from your desktop application, web browser, or mobile app.) Participants who are not eligible for a UC Berkeley Zoom account can create a free, consumer Zoom account
Step 3: Check your place in the advising queue
After signing in and joining the waiting room, you can check your place in the advising queue. You can see how many students are ahead of you to calculate your wait time, and see any notes for you from the advisor. Advising sessions range from average of 5-10 minutes for General Advising and 15-20 minutes for Special Topics.
Step 4: Check your video and audio settings
While you are waiting, test your Zoom audio and video settings to make sure that you are ready to speak with an advisor when it is your turn.