U.S. Tax Forms

Common U.S. Tax Forms You May Need

California State Tax Forms

540NR & Instructions (Nonresident)
-Use Long Form Version Only
540 & Instructions (Resident)

All Other States' Tax Forms

Federation of Tax Administrators

U.S. Tax Forms You May Receive

Listed below are some common tax forms you may receive from your employer, banks, or other agencies. You may receive other tax forms not listed here as well; visit the Internal Revenue Service for more information.

IRS Form W-2: Wage and Tax Statement

This form is issued to international students and scholars who had U.S.-based employment. It is a summary of the total amount of wages earned during the year and the amount of money withheld for any taxes (federal, state, and local). The U.S. employer is required to send this form to employees by January 31, 2024. UC Berkeley employees will be able to find their W-2 in the UC Path employee self-service portal. If you have questions about your UC Berkeley W-2, you can email payhelp@berkeley.edu.

IRS Form 1042-S: Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding

This form is issued to document taxable (non-service) scholarship, fellowship or grant income in excess of tuition/fees and books/supplies. The 1042-S form can also be used to document scholarship, fellowship, grant or wage income that is exempt from tax withholding because of a tax treaty. UC Berkeley is required to send the 1042-S to eligible participants no later than March 15, 2024. You will be notified by email when it becomes available in your Glacier record. If you have not received the 1042-S by the dates above, please email glacieradmin@berkeley.edu.

IRS Form 1095-B: Health Coverage

This form is used to report certain information to the IRS and to taxpayers about individuals who are covered by minimum essential coverage and therefore are not liable for the individual shared responsibility payment. UC Berkeley students and scholars who have insurance coverage in the previous year receive this form from their insurance provider. Per the instructions in the IRS 1095-B Form, do not attach to your tax return but keep the form for your records. Please contact your health insurance provider if you have questions regarding this form. For international students on SHIP, contact Wellfleet Student. For international scholars, it will depend on your appointment title and health insurance provider. Learn more at Health Insurance Requirements for J-1/J-2 Visitors.

IRS Form 1099-INT: Interest Income

This form is issued by a U.S. bank, and shows the interest a student or scholar received on deposits in their bank account or CD. Bank interest is not taxable for nonresident aliens; nonresidents aliens do not use this form in preparing their tax returns.

IRS Form 1099-MISC: Miscellaneous Income

This form is used to show "independent contractor" income. Sometimes, students or scholars who work off the UC Berkeley campus are given this form to document job income instead of the W-2. If the income shown on the 1099-MISC is very large, you may owe taxes when you file your return because taxes are not withheld from "independent contractor" income.

IRS Form 1098-T: Tuition Statement

This form is issued by educational institutions in the United States to document educational expenses for each tax year. This form facilitates U.S. taxpayers (not nonresidents) applying for the Hope and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits and the American Opportunity Tax Credit. Please note that nonresidents for tax purposes are not eligible for these tax credits and cannot use this form. For more information about this form, review the Student Billing Services page.