GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP)
To assist international students and scholars with tax concerns, Berkeley International Office is sponsoring free access to GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), an online federal income tax filing program designed exclusively for international students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees and their dependents who are nonresident aliens for tax purposes in the U.S. for the 2023 calendar year.
GLACIER Tax Prep Features:
- Form 1040NR & 1040NR-EZ Filing
- Tax treaty analysis
- Year-round access to the software
- Access to previous tax returns
- Your basic information saved for annual use
- An extensive FAQ, Live Q&A sessions with a GTP tax professional, tutorial videos, and a Help form where you can submit a question to get connected with support from a nonresident tax expert.
The following individuals are eligible to use the GLACIER Tax Prep program sponsored by Berkeley International Office:
- F-1 and J-1 students with on-campus employment at UCB in 2023
- F-1 students with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization in 2023
- UCB F-1 students on Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM OPT in 2023
- UCB J-1 students on Pre-Completion and Post-Completion Academic Training in 2023
- Current J-1 Visiting Scholars affiliated with UCB in 2023
- Former J-1 Visiting Scholars affiliated with UCB in 2023
Caution: Before accessing GLACIER Tax Prep, make sure you have all W-2 or 1042-S forms from the institutions where you worked or were awarded honorarium, stipends, or fellowships in 2023.
- Students or scholars who received a 1042-S from UC Berkeley: Access GTP through your Glacier record. You can follow the instructions in the email that will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org in February 2024
- Students or scholars who are eligible to use GTP (see "Eligibility" above) but who did not receive a 1042-S from UC Berkeley OR who are no longer in the U.S. can be granted free GTP access from BIO. See below:
- If you were a UCB F-1/J-1 degree-seeking or EAP student in 2023, request free access by clicking HERE. (This includes students on CPT or pre-completion J-1 Academic Training.)
- If you were a UCB F-1 student on post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), STEM OPT Extension, or UCB J-1 Student on Post-Completion Academic Training (AT) in 2023, request free access by clicking HERE.
- If you are a current or former J-1 scholar affiliated with UCB in 2023, request free access by clicking HERE.
- If you are a J-2 dependent and earned US-source income in 2023, please email email@example.com for further instructions.
** Once granted access to GTP, you will have to click on the Access GTP tab at the bottom of the screen and complete the login process on the following page immediately. For new GTP users, please finish your GTP account registration and complete login at the same time.**
No Income Tax Filing
If you did not have US source income in 2023, you are not eligible for free GTP access. Follow the online instructions on the No Income Tax Filing webpage to learn more about filing the Form 8843.