GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP)
To assist international students and scholars with tax concerns, Berkeley International Office is sponsoring free access to GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), an online federal income tax filing program designed exclusively for international students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees and their dependents who are nonresident aliens for tax purposes in the U.S. for the 2022 calendar year.
GLACIER Tax Prep Features:
- Form 1040NR & 1040NR-EZ Filing
- Tax treaty analysis
- Year-round access to the software
- Access to previous tax returns
- Your basic information saved for annual use
- Form 8843 Filing
- An extensive FAQ, tutorial videos, and a Help form where you can submit a question to get connected with support from a nonresident tax expert.
The following individuals are eligible to use the GLACIER Tax Prep program sponsored by Berkeley International Office:
- F-1 and J-1 students with on-campus employment at UCB in 2022
- UCB F-1 students on Optional Practical Training in 2022
- UCB J-1 students on Academic Training in 2022
- Current J-1 Visiting Scholars affiliated with UCB in 2022
- Former J-1 Visiting Scholars affiliated with UCB in 2022
Caution: Before accessing GLACIER Tax Prep, make sure you have all W-2 or 1042-S forms from the institutions where you worked or were awarded honorarium, stipends, or fellowships in 2022.
- Students or scholars who received a 1042-S from UC Berkeley: Access GTP through your Glacier record. You can follow the instructions in the email that will be sent from email@example.com in February 2023.
- Students or scholars who are eligible to use GTP (see "Eligibility" above) but who did not receive a 1042-S from UC Berkeley OR who are no longer in the U.S. can be granted free GTP access from BIO. Visit this page in February for instructions or stay tuned for more information via email.
No Income Tax Filing
If you did not have US source income in 2022, you are not eligible for free GTP access. Follow the online instructions on the No Income Tax Filing webpage to learn more about filing the Form 8843.