GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP)
To assist international students and scholars with tax concerns, Berkeley International Office is sponsoring free access to GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), an online federal income tax filing program designed exclusively for international students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees and their dependents who are nonresident aliens for tax purposes in the U.S. for the 2022 calendar year.
The following individuals are eligible to use the GLACIER Tax Prep program sponsored by Berkeley International Office:
- F-1 and J-1 students enrolled at UCB in 2021
- UCB F-1 students on Optional Practical Training in 2021
- UCB J-1 students on Academic Training in 2021
- Current J-1 Visiting Scholars affiliated with UCB in 2021
- Former J-1 Visiting Scholars affiliated with UCB in 2021
- F-2 and J-2 dependents of the above mentioned
Caution: Before accessing GLACIER Tax Prep, make sure you have all W-2 or 1042-S forms from the institutions where you worked or were awarded honorarium, stipends, or fellowships in 2021.
- Students or scholars who received a 1042-S from UC Berkeley:
Access GTP through your Glacier record. You can follow the instructions in the email sent from email@example.com in February 2022.
- Students or scholars who are eligible to use GTP (see "Eligibility" above) but who did not receive a 1042-S from UC Berkeley OR who are no longer in the U.S.: Request an access code. If you do not receive an email with your access code within 3 business days, please check your spam folder. If it is not there, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students or scholars who never received any income from a U.S. source: Follow the online instructions.
GLACIER Tax Prep Features:
- Form 8843 Filing
- Form 1040NR & 1040NR-EZ Filing
- Tax treaty analysis
- Year round access to the software
- Access to previous tax returns
- Your basic information saved for annual use
- An extensive FAQ, tutorial videos, and a Help form where you can submit a question to get connected with support from a nonresident tax expert.