H-1B Travel Documents

COVID-19 UPDATES:  BIO encourages individuals to use caution when considering international travel due to COVID-19 For current travel updates (including vaccination, quarantine, and testing) updates see our COVID-19 FAQ page and Immigration Policy Updates for current immigration news. For current UC Berkeley policies see the UC Berkeley Return to Campus page. 

Global travel conditions remain impacted by the pandemic. The Department of State has announced a phased resumption of routine visa services. Visit your local U.S. embassy or consulate website to confirm operating status and find information about appointment rescheduling and/or emergency services.

Required Documents for H-1B Travel

To re-enter the U.S. in H-1B status and resume employment, bring the following documents:

  • Passport valid for six months beyond the duration of your H-1B status (see dates on the I-797 approval notice)
  • I-797 approval notice, original version (contact Berkeley International Office if you do not have the original version)
  • Letter verifying current employment from your department (confirming continued employment, job title, annual salary, and dates of employment as listed on your I-797 H-1B approval notice), dated within one month of your visa interview or re-entry 
  • Most recent UC Berkeley pay statements (last 3 months)
  • H-1B valid visa stamp (not necessary for Canadian citizens)
Additionally, if you will be applying for a visa, additional documents may be needed: 
  • Copies of forms I-129
  • Copy of Certified Labor Condition Application filed on your behalf
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Additional documents may be required, check with embassy. These may include evidence of meeting required qualifications etc.

If your visa has expired or you have changed your status to H-1B within the U.S. :

Obtain an H-1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate before returning to the U.S. Present the above-mentioned travel documents to the consulate.

If you have a valid H-1B visa issued with a prior employer's name:

The visa remains valid until the date of its expiration. H-1B employees who change employers in the U.S. may use the previously issued H-1B visa to apply for admission to the U.S. if the dates are still valid. Employees must carry all the other travel-related documents to re-enter the country successfully.