Employment Changes

Changing Employer 

  • H-1B employment is employer, location, and position specific.
  • An H-1B employee who has obtained H-1B status through one employer may not work for another employer unless the second employer has filed an H-1B petition with the USCIS for employment with the new employer.
  • H-1B employees are encouraged to remain employed with the current employer until the new employer has received evidence that the new petition has been receipted by USCIS. In some cases where the current authorized H-1B validity period has not run out, a gap of limited duration in employment status may be granted. Consult with Berkeley International Office at h1b@berkeley.edu.

Changing UCB Departments

Notify Berkeley International Office if you will be changing departments at h1b@berkeley.edu. We must evaluate if a new or amended petition is necessary before you assume your job duties with the new department.

Receiving Outside Payments

H-1B employees may receive payment or reimbursement for travel expenses associated with occasional speeches, lectures, conferences, or consultations at other institutions, if these activities are incidental to the H-1B employment. However, they may not be paid an honorarium, wage, or salary, and may not derive a monetary or other material gain from these activities.

Please consult with Berkeley International Office at h1b@berkeley.edu if you have any additional questions