F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

Curricular Practical Training is a type of off-campus work permission for F-1 international students who are currently pursuing study programs in the U.S. and want to gain experience in their fields of study. CPT is not available after a student completes a degree program.

Students are eligible to apply for an unlimited amount of CPT. However, if 12 months or more of full-time CPT is used, a student forfeits Optional Practical Training eligibility. Accrual of part-time CPT does not affect eligibility for OPT.

For full details, review the narrated tutorial at right.