J-2 Employment Authorization

J-2 EAD guide coverpageJ-2 work permits are obtained from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) through an application process that takes an average of 3-5 months to process. Employment may not begin until the J-2 has received the work permit, called the Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

The EAD allows the J-2 dependent to work in any job, full-time or part-time. Employment cannot extend beyond the end date on the EAD. Extensions of the EAD are possible, up to the end date on the DS-2019. Please note that the extension process also takes an average of 3-5 months, so plan ahead if employment needs to be continuous (without any gaps between work authorization periods).

Please consult with a BIO adviser before planning international travel during this period.

Application Process

Please see the Employment Authorization Application Guide for J-2 Dependents for information on the application process.