Off-campus Payment Authorization

Per U.S. Department of State regulations, Professors, Research Scholars and Short-Term Scholar participants in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program are only allowed to receive payment as specifically noted on their Form DS-2019 unless given prior written authorization by an International Scholar Advisor/Alternate Responsible Officer before accepting such payment. With this prior written authorization, a scholar may be compensated, paid, or reimbursed for occasional off-campus lectures, consultations, or seminars.

Any off-campus payment or reimbursement for occasional lectures or consultations must be pre-approved by an Advisor at Berkeley International Office before accepting payment of the proposed activity.

Scholars sponsored by Fulbright, or other Exchange Programs must contact their program sponsor for specific information and instructions.


J regulations require that the occasional lectures or short-term consultations must:

  • be directly related to the objectives of the J-1 Exchange Visitor's program;
  • be incidental to the J-1 Exchange Visitor's primary program activities;
  • not delay the completion date of the J-1 Exchange Visitor's program;
  • be documented in SEVIS;
  • take place during the J-1 Exchange Visitor's UC Berkeley program dates as noted on Form DS-2019; and
  • be requested and approved before the program end date.

Application Instructions

Follow the steps below at least 10 working days prior to the proposed compensated activity. Authorization cannot be given after the activity has occurred. Receiving unauthorized payment is a violation of J-1 status.

  1. Complete the “Off-Campus Payment Authorization Request Form.”
  2. Gather the required attachments (listed on request form).
  3. Submit all the above to Berkeley International Office.
  4. Please allow 10 business days to receive the letter of authorization. 

Please email with any questions.