J-1 On-Campus Employment & Fellowship Authorization

J-1 students must obtain written approval from their program sponsor before beginning any type of on-campus employment.

  • This authorization must be shown to the hiring unit at UC Berkeley as part of the hiring process.
  • The authorization form can be used to apply for a Social Security Number.

Authorization is employer-specific; if there is a change in the employment (including position, hiring unit, or number of hours per week), a new authorization is required.

On-Campus Employment Rules:

  • To complete the hiring process, student must show the completed form, signed by the Berkeley International Office Advisor, to the employer.
  • Employment is limited to 20 hours per week during the semester. Students may work full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during vacation periods.
  • The on-campus employment authorization form is invalid if the student graduates, fails to maintain J-1 status, or transfers out of UC Berkeley.
  • Employment authorization is valid for a maximum of one year per site of employment. Students should check the approved Authorization section of the form to determine the length of authorization and number of hours per week.
  • To renew on-campus employment authorization or report changes, please resubmit this form with the updated information. Students must obtain a new work authorization form when there is a change in the number of hours per week.

On-Campus Employment/Fellowship Authorization Process

If UC Berkeley is the program sponsor (the institution that issued your DS-2019), follow the steps below:

  1. Request authorization before beginning on campus employment by submitting the completed J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Form to Berkeley International Office. The Advisor will sign the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form and report the employment authorization in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS).
  2. Pick up completed form in three (3) business days from Berkeley International Office.
  3. Apply for a Social Security Number. Use the signed J-1 Employment/Fellowship Authorization form to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).