Steps for UCB Host Departments to Invite J-1 Student Intern
The overall timeline for a J-1 Student Intern request is 4-6 months (from start of the request to the intern's arrival in the U.S.).
- The host department invites the student intern and submits request to Berkeley International Office via ISD.
The host department works with the student intern and faculty sponsor to complete, sign, and submit the following to ISD:
- J-1 Undergraduate Researcher Checklist
- T/IPP Questionnaire: To be completed by the Faculty Sponsor and Department.
- Placement Site Agreement: To be completed by the Faculty Sponsor and Department.
- Home University Attestation: To be completed by the J-1 Student Intern and the Intern's Home University Dean or Advisor.
- $1000 J-1 Student Intern Services Fee [IOF]: To be submitted by the host department.
- BIO processes the T/IPP (Form DS-7002).
- BIO reviews and analyzes ISD visitor record. Contacts department if the record is incomplete or there are questions
- Processes T/IPP form via SEVIS
- Transmits via DocuSign the T/IPP for signatures from the student intern and host faculty
- BIO issues the Form DS-2019. The T/IPP Form and DS-2019 are sent to the J-1 student intern.
- 4. The J-1 student intern applies for a visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate.
- The U.S. embassy or consulate processes the visa.
- The J-1 student intern arrives in the U.S.
- Receives passport admission stamp indicating "J-1 D/S" and electronic I-94 admission record, or paper I-94 card at port of entry
- Checks in with host department immediately upon arrival
- Participates in a Scholar Information Meeting/Webinar sponsored by Berkeley International Office within 9 days of start date
- The J-1 Student Intern reports their arrival through the J Scholar Portal within 9 days of start date.
- If the J-1 Student Intern fails to report their arrival through the J Scholar Portal, BIO will seek department administrator's assistance in securing arrival information.
- Department administrator verifies the J-1 Student Intern's health insurance
- Department administrator informs J-1 Student Intern of the Scholar Information Meeting requirement
- BIO reports the intern's arrival information to DHS.
- Faculty Sponsor / P.I. submits evaluation of J-1 Student Intern
- Faculty Sponsor/P.I. completes an evaluation of the J-1 Student Intern within the final 30 days of the internship period. (If the internship is more than 6 months, the faculty sponsor must complete two evaluations: one within 30 days of the mid-point and one within the final 30 days of the internship period.)
- Faculty Sponsor/P.I. and J-1 Student Intern sign and date the evaluation form
- Faculty Sponsor/P.I. sends evaluation to department admin who then sends the evaluation to the BIO advisor