Steps for UCB Host Departments to Invite J-1 Student Intern
The overall timeline for a J-1 Student Intern request is 4-6 months (from start of the request to the intern's arrival in the U.S.).
- The host department invites the student intern and submits request to Berkeley International Office via ISD.
The host department works with the student intern and faculty sponsor to complete, sign, and submit the following to ISD:
- J-1 Undergraduate Researcher Checklist
- T/IPP Questionnaire: To be completed by the Faculty Sponsor and Department.
- Placement Site Agreement: To be completed by the Faculty Sponsor and Department.
- Home University Attestation: To be completed by the J-1 Student Intern and the Intern's Home University Dean or Advisor.
- $1000 J-1 Student Intern Services Fee [IOF]: To be submitted by the host department.
- BIO processes the T/IPP (Form DS-7002).
- BIO reviews and analyzes ISD visitor record. Contacts department if the record is incomplete or there are questions
- Processes T/IPP form via SEVIS
- Contacts the department when the T/IPP is ready for signatures
- Department submits signed T/IPP form to BIO advisor
- BIO issues the Form DS-2019. The T/IPP Form and DS-2019 are mailed to J-1 student intern.
- 4. The J-1 student intern applies for a visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate.
- The U.S. embassy or consulate processes the visa.
- The J-1 student intern arrives in the U.S.
- The host department reports the intern's arrival information to BIO.
- Reviews print-out of I-94 electronic record, passport admission stamp, or copy of paper I-94 card and notifies BIO of discrepancies
- Email email@example.com with J-1 Student Intern's arrival information and U.S. address using the J Scholar Status Report Form and print-out of I-94 electronic record, passport admission stamp, or copy of paper I-94 card (within 9 days of the J-1 Student Intern's program start date)
- Verifies the J-1 student intern's health insurance
- Informs J-1 student intern of the Scholar Information Meeting (SIMs)
- BIO reports the intern's arrival information to DHS.
- Faculty Sponsor / P.I. submits evaluation of J-1 student intern
- Faculty Sponsor/P.I. completes an evaluation of the J-1 Student Intern within the final 30 days of the internship period. (If the internship is more than 6 months, the faculty sponsor must complete two evaluations: one within 30 days of the mid-point and one within the final 30 days of the internship period.)
- Faculty Sponsor/P.I. and J-1 Student Intern sign and date the evaluation form
- Faculty Sponsor/P.I. sends evaluation to department admin who then sends the evaluation to the BIO advisor